Instructor Terms & ConditionsAugust 31, 2020 2020-08-31 11:10
Instructor Terms & Conditions
Instructor Terms & Conditions
Last Revised: September 1, 2020.
When you submit a proposal to teach on the Tao Life platform, you agree to abide by these Instructor Terms (“Terms“).
As an instructor, you are contracting directly with Tao Life (a New York d/b/a/ CHG).
1. Instructor Obligations
As an instructor, you are responsible for all content that you post, including lectures, quizzes, coding exercises, practice tests, assignments, resources, answers, course landing page content, and announcements (“Submitted Content“).
You represent and warrant that:
- you will provide and maintain accurate account information;
- your Submitted Content will not infringe or misappropriate any third party’s intellectual property rights;
- you have the required qualifications, credentials, and expertise (including education, training, knowledge, and skill sets) to teach and offer the services that you offer through your Submitted Content and use of the Services; and
- you will respond promptly to students and ensure a quality of service that corresponds with the standards of your industry and instruction services in general.
You warrant that you will not:
- post or provide any inappropriate, offensive, racist, hateful, sexist, pornographic, false, misleading, incorrect, infringing, defamatory or libelous content or information;
- post or transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, or any other form of solicitation (commercial or otherwise) through the Services or to any user;
- use the Services for business other than providing tutoring, teaching, and instructional services to students;
- engage in any activity that would require us to obtain licenses from or pay royalties to any third party, including the need to pay royalties for the public performance of a musical work or sound recording;
- frame or embed the Services (such as to embed a free version of a course) or otherwise circumvent the Services;
- impersonate another person or gain unauthorized access to another person’s account;
- interfere with or otherwise prevent other instructors from providing their services or courses; or
- abuse Tao Life resources, including support services.
2. License to Tao Life
We may record all or any part of your Submitted Content for quality control and for delivering, marketing, promoting, demonstrating, or operating the Services. You grant Tao Life permission to use your name, likeness, voice, and image in connection with offering, delivering, marketing, promoting, demonstrating, and selling the Services, your Submitted Content, or Tao Life’s content, and you waive any rights of privacy, publicity, or other rights of a similar nature, to the extent permissible under applicable law.
3. Trust & Safety
3.1 Trust & Safety Policies
You understand that Tao Life reserves the right to remove courses, suspend payouts, and/or ban instructors for any reason at any time, without prior notice, including in cases where:
- a course falls below our quality standards or has a negative impact on the student experience;
- an instructor engages in behavior that might reflect unfavorably on Tao Life or bring Tao Life into public disrepute, contempt, scandal, or ridicule;
- an instructor engages the services of a marketer or other business partner who violates Tao Life’s policies; or
- as determined by Tao Life in its sole discretion.
3.2 Relationship to Other Users
Instructors don’t have a direct contractual relationship with students, so the only information you’ll receive about students is what is provided to you through the Services. You agree that you will not use the data you receive for any purpose other than providing your services to those students on the Tao Life platform, and that you won’t solicit additional personal data or store students’ personal data outside the Tao Life platform. You will indemnify Tao ife against any claims arising from your use of students’ personal data.
3.3 Anti-Piracy Efforts
We partner with anti-piracy vendors to help protect your courses from unauthorized use. To enable this protection, you hereby appoint Tao Life and our anti-piracy vendors as your agents for the purpose of enforcing copyrights for each of your courses, through notice and takedown processes (under applicable copyright laws like the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and for other efforts to enforce those rights. You grant Udemy and our anti-piracy vendors primary authority to file notices on your behalf to enforce your copyright interests.
You agree that Tao Life and our anti-piracy vendors will retain the above rights unless you revoke them by sending an email to email@example.com with the subject line: “Revoke Anti-Piracy Protection Rights” from the email address associated with your account. Any revocation of rights will be effective 48 hours after we receive it.
4.1 Price Setting
When creating a course, you will determine the price (“Base Price“) for your course. Alternatively, you may choose to offer your course for free.
5.1 Revenue Share
When a student purchases your course, we calculate the gross amount of the sale as the amount actually received by Tao Life from the student (“Gross Amount“).
Your revenue share will be 70% of the Net Amount of your course price. If we change this payment rate, we will provide you 30 days notice using prominent means, such as via email or by posting a notice through our Services.
Tao Life makes all instructor payments in U.S. dollars (USD) regardless of the currency with which the sale was made. We will assume transaction processing fees, excluding foreign currency conversion fees and wiring fees. Your revenue report will show the sales price (in local currency) and your converted revenue amount (in USD).
5.2 Receiving Payments
For us to pay you in a timely manner, you must own a PayPal account in good standing and must keep us informed of the correct email associated with your account. You understand and agree that you are ultimately responsible for any taxes on your income.
Payment will be made within 10 days of the end of the month in which (a) we receive the fee for a course or (b) the relevant course consumption occurred.
As an instructor, you are responsible for determining whether you are eligible to be paid by a U.S. company. We reserve the right not to pay out funds in the event of identified fraud, violations of intellectual property rights, or other violations of the law.
If we cannot settle funds into your payment account after the period of time set forth by your state, country, or other government authority in its unclaimed property laws, we may process the funds due to you in accordance with our legal obligations, including by submitting those funds to the appropriate government authority as required by law.
While you are a published instructor and subject to the requirements below, you may use our trademarks where we authorize you to do so.
- only use the images of our trademarks that we make available to you, as detailed in any guidelines we may publish;
- only use our trademarks in connection with the promotion and sale of your Tao Life courses or your participation on Tao Life; and
- immediately comply if we request that you discontinue use.
You must not:
- use our trademarks in a misleading or disparaging way;
- use our trademarks in a way that implies that we endorse, sponsor, or approve of your courses or services; or
- use our trademarks in a way that violates applicable law or in connection with an obscene, indecent, or unlawful topic or material.
7. Sanctions and Export Laws
You warrant that you aren’t restricted from using the Services under U.S. sanctions or export laws (as an individual or as an officer, director, or controlling shareholder of any entity on whose behalf you use the Services). If you become subject to such a restriction while you are subject to these Instructor Terms, you will notify Tao Life within 24 hours, and we will have the right to terminate any further obligations to you, effective immediately and with no further liability to you (but without prejudice to your outstanding obligations to Tao Life). You will not use the Services to conduct or facilitate any transaction with any other individual or entity subject to such a restriction. You may not remove, export, or allow the export or re-export of the Services (or any product thereof, including technical data) outside the U.S. in violation of any restrictions, laws, or regulations of the U.S. or any other applicable country.
9. Miscellaneous Legal Terms
9.1 Updating These Terms
From time to time, we may update these Terms to clarify our practices or to reflect new or different practices (such as when we add new features), and Tao Life reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify and/or make changes to these Terms at any time. If we make any material change, we will notify you using prominent means such as by email notice sent to the email address specified in your account or by posting a notice through our Services. Modifications will become effective on the day they are posted unless stated otherwise.
Your continued use of our Services after changes become effective shall mean that you accept those changes. Any revised Terms shall supersede all previous Terms.
Any version of these Terms in a language other than English is provided for convenience and you understand and agree that the English language will control if there is any conflict.
9.3 Relationship Between Us
You and we agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, contractor, or agency relationship exists between us.
The following sections shall survive the expiration or termination of these Terms: Sections 2 (License to Tao Life), 3.3 (Relationship to Other Users), 5.2 (Receiving Payments), and 9 (Miscellaneous Legal Terms).